It’s Alexander Skarsgard’s birthday today, but I would like to wish Eric Northman instead. The reason is simple, I like Mr. Northman more. Alexander is a pretty blonde but Eric’s a brooding. Eric’s a package deal- the way he dresses, the way he talks, the way he bites. He’s a Viking & a Vampire. Too bad that he is imaginary.
My first meet with Eric Northman happened at Charlaine Harris’ ‘Sookie Stackhouse: Dead Until Dark’. It wasn’t easy, to wait till chapter 4 for the introduction. I was introduced to him by the protagonist Sookie.
“The vampire he (Bill) had indicated was handsome, in fact, radiant; blond & blue eyed, tall & broad shouldered. He was wearing boots, jeans & a vest. Period. Kind of like the guys on the cover of romance books.”
The minute I read that, I knew I am going for him, sooner or later. After all, he appealed to my emotional fetish for gorgeous, sexy, brooding bad boys. It happened sooner than I expected.
So, when I heard about the TV show ‘True Blood’ based on the books, I was a bit reluctant to watch it. For me, Charlaine Harris’ selling point was Eric. I never thought anyone could do justice to that character.
Alexander Skarsgard does & how! He was just like I ever imagined Eric to be. I had to custom made a guy to fit the character, he would have been a lesser Eric than Alxenader Skarsgard. In fact, sometimes I believe that Alexander Skarsguard is actually a 1000 years old Viking vampire who’s between us in disguise of a Swedish actor.
So, it makes total sense that convert a post on Alexander Skarsgard’s birthday into an ode to Eric Northman.
My Favorite Eric Northman Quotes (From The Books)
1. You trust me?” Eric sounded surprised.
“That’s . . . crazy, Sookie.” (Living Dead in Dallas)
2. “I hurt with you. I bled with you – not only because we’re bonded but because of the love I have for you.” (Dead in the Family)
3. “Eric was holding my hands, and I was digging my nails into him like we were doing something else. He won’t mind, I though, as I realized I’d drawn blood. And sure enough, he didn’t. “Let go,” he advised me, and I loosened my grip on his hands. “No, not of me,” he said smiling. “You can hold on to me as long as you want.” (Club Dead)
4. “Niall had been able to mask the odor of fairy from Eric in the restaurant, but I saw from the flare of Eric’s nostrils that the intoxicating scent clung to me. Eric’s eyes closed in ecstasy, and he actually licked his lips. I felt like a T-bone just out of reach of a hungry dog.
“Snap out of it,” I said. I wasn’t in the mood.
With a huge effort, Eric reigned himself in. “When you smell like that,” he said, “I just wanna fuck you and bite you and rub myself all over you.”
5. “Darling, you can nail my ass anytime.”
6. “I hate witches. Humans had the right idea, burning them at the stake.” (Dead to the World)
7. “Should I just bite you, and end it all?”, he whispered. “I would never have to think about you again. Thinking about you is an annoying habit and one I want to be rid of.” (Dead as a Doornail)
8. “Angelic Sookie, vision of love and beauty, I am positive that the wicked evil maenad violated your smooth and voluptuous body, in an attempt to deliver a message to me.” (Living Dead in Dallas)
9. “They found the corpse in the closet of Alcide’s apartment, and they hatched a plan to hide his remains.” Eric sounded like that had been kind of cute of us.
“My Sookie hid a corpse?”
“I don’t think you can be too sure about that possessive pronoun.”
“Where did you learn that term, Northman?”
“I took ‘English as a Second Language’ at a community college in the seventies.” (Club Dead)
10. “You know I love you more when you’re cold and heartless.” (Dead to the World)
11. “I don’t like having feelings” (Club Dead)
12. “How grateful are you?” Eric whispered, his mouth hovering over mine. His eyes were very alert now, and his gaze was boring into mine.
“That kind of ruins it, when you say something like that,” I said, trying to keep my voice gentle. “You shouldn’t want me to have sex with you just because I owe you.”
“I don’t really care why you have sex with me, as long as you do it,” he said, equally gently.” (Club Dead)
13. “I think it’s ‘only polite’ that my wife should let me know when she’s entertaining a male visitor, furthermore one that has shared her bed.” (Deadlocked)
And, here are my favorite one’s from the show: